Saturday, October 28, 2017

reading and visual attention, oh my!!!

Backstory:
I am a book worm. I have always loved reading and use fiction as escapism.  That makes this particular facet of Dominic's disability very difficult for me because he is illiterate at 12.  When I was 12, I was reading Gone with the Wind.

Dominic's visual attention span is very short. We've been working in occupational and speech therapy both for many years to increase it. Its very hard to deprogram a word when you glance at it only for a fraction of a second.  So we work on it all the time.  School has of course also focused on it (he's in 7th grade right now, so thats 9 years of school attempting to teach him to read, too)

What happened this morning:
Dominic was sitting in the living room with us, when he, out of the blue said "Reading".  Daddy and I  looked at each other, and then at him, and told him to go get a book and bring it up and read it to us.  He disappeared to his room for a significant while, and when he came back upstairs was holding a tiny little board book, one of the ones you use with a very little person.  I don't even remember where this one came from, its been so long since we got it.

He then sat in my lap and we went one word at a time through it. about 10% he knew on his own (the, and, of...), and the rest i had him repeat after me.  he focused on the whole book.  Well, i wanted a recording. So i sent him across the room to read it with Daddy.  He did better for me than Daddy, but here's that video. He focused, he stayed engaged for the entire time and he answered a bunch of questions at the end. He WANTS to read badly at this point.  We are SO CLOSE.



(purely for my own records, today was day 1 of our pulsing back in PEAPURE in combo with PMB.  Dr Bradstreet was seeing great things combining CBD and PEAPURE before he died, so we're going to give it a whirl for a bit as I have a box of peapure leftover I don't want to go bad)

No comments: