Friday, August 16, 2013

House Alarm



When we moved into our house 15 years ago, it creaked.  And it sounded like someone was walking around upstairs (we sleep in the basement).  So we got a security system.  We’ve kept it going all these years and it really is just a piece of mind thing.

Saturday morning, I was in the shower and the alarm started going off.  I got out of the shower, grabbed a towel, laid eyes on Dominic and turned the alarm off.   He was sitting on the sofa, fingers in ears, holding a box.    I went up stairs dripping wet in a towel to find the front door wide open.

I closed it.

Went back downstairs to inspect the box.  It was a delivery from fedex.  Here’s what happened

The Fedex man rang the doorbell
Dominic, while I was in the shower, un-deadbolted  and opened the door thus setting off the alarm, and brought the box inside.
Then he sat on the sofa and stuck his fingers in his ears.

First – huge scare, he could’ve just wandered away and been a block away or more by the time I got the alarm off and got upstairs.  He didn’t.  We have since changed all the deadbolts in the house to be keyed and have hung the keys far outside his reach.

This is a huge gain for him to be able to open the door (he didn’t have the hand strength even a month ago), get the box, and sit and wait for me.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a huge combination of skills he has shown with this. I'm so glad this didn't end badly. I would've been shaken by it but I am a bit odd. just in case you didn't know that by now. LOL