Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Institutionalization / Light it up True April 15



This terrifies me to my core.  This is why I won't give up.

I absolutely cannot wrap my brain around institutionalizing Dominic.  I know people who have had to do long term inpatient commitments on their autistic teenagers and its broken my heart to watch.   I expect that Dominic will probably live with me for the rest of my life.  I don't know where he'll go after that. 

There aren't anywhere near enough facilities for the tidal wave of autistic teenagers and adults who require full time, one on one supervision.   We, as a society, have no idea whats about to hit us.  If you're the investing / philanthropic type - take a page from the Autism Trust in Austin, TX and build an intentional community. I guarantee you that you will have a waiting list within days of announcing the idea.

No comments: