Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Autism underemployment / Light it up TRUE April 21





This goes with the territory of having an intellectually disabled adult child. There aren't very many places that they can earn a living.  There are places like Goodwill and the Arc.  I'm sure that as our kids get older, those jobs will be heavily fought after. 


I've written before that I expect Dominic to live with me for the rest of my life.  I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't want to put him in a group home or adult day care.  I need to start thinking of a creative solution that would allow him to earn a living. 


If you are an entrepreneur, now is the time to start creating employment opportunities for disabled adults.  There is going to be a tidal wave of them very soon.  They need to be highly supervised positions with great structure.  They need to be positions where dignity is maintained.   They will probably not be highly paid positions, but they should be fulfilling jobs.  Our kids deserve to have fulfillment in what they do.


For Dominic, as he gets older, we continue to see his love of animals.  When the time is right, I'm planning on speaking to our veterinarian who we've known for a decade about possible volunteer puppy petting position that could perhaps grow into a paid position.   there's probably something similar that could be done at the zoo, but I would have to be very comfortable about the level of supervision.

No comments: